Travefy sat down with travel industry veteran and agency sales coach Tammy Levent to get her top-performing tips and strategies to qualify clients. Tammy highlights that being confident and having a consistent sales process is key to creating consistent success in your business. Check out the below playbook of qualifying questions Tammy uses with her agency to qualify clients and lock-in clients in the first conversation.
Get Your Mindset
- Be energetic.
- Have confidence.
- Be sure to control the conversation.
- Answer your phone, this is probably the most important because people do not answer their phones.
- Think of the greeting when you answer your phone.
- Where are you planning on going?
- Are you planning this trip for an occasion, (e.g. honeymoon, birthday, anniversary, reunion, destination wedding, etc.)
- How many people? Kids? Ages?
- Where are you coming from?
- How many days? How long?
- Have you been researching your destination?
- Why did you choose this destination?
- The destination is always great and you can help them for that destination—or if not great tell them why. You are the expert, they need your advice.
- Budget: Do you have a certain budget in mind?
- Get the budget, based on where they are going you will have a better idea if you can send them there.
- Tell the reasons why they need to go to xyz resort or location for what they are looking for.
- What do you like to do? (e.g. Europe, art, history, adventure, experiences, wines, food, etc.)
- Where have you travelled before?
- What was your favorite thing about that vacation?
- Do you want to go back or experience something else?
- Under promise and over deliver: I will get back to you within 48 hours with a proposal. However, there is an exception to this if the travel is FIT, no more than 3 to 4 days in travel length, or if it’s for two years out.
Send proposal within 24 hours!!!! You become a hero!
- Qualify Them: If I get you exactly what you need, are you ready to book now? (You are getting them to make a commitment with you before you even get the rates.)
- What would be holding you back from booking now? Usually the problem is money! Finances: deposits. Air has to be paid right away.. or ask suppliers about the pay later on the air plan.. , reduce the deposit amount. And you can make monthly payments.
- Get their email address, phone numbers, and I always ask for legal spelling on your name as it is on your Passport. (Sometimes I will ask for bdays because of the airfare and insurance. I will say.. Can you give me your birthdates, if I find a really good deal, I want to be able to hold for you.. no cost to you… just courtesy.
- How would you like to communicate? Email? Text? Phone?
- What do you do for work? And when are the best to communicate with you?
- Thank you again for choosing xyz us.. and I look forward to working with you.
- Any other questions before I let you go?
Meet Tammy Levent:
Tammy is a travel agent’s agent. She created Elite Travel in the wake of 9/11, during the collapse of the airlines, in the face of natural disasters, the recession, and the onslaught of online booking engines. This is why she knows better than most how to create a successful business in an adverse climate. She understood that the travel industry was in need of help, and she forged ahead to restore dignity to the art of travel. She states, “To win our clients back, we need to change the way we think of travel agents and redefine the business.”
In 2013, she partnered with several top entrepreneurs, including Kevin Harrington from Shark Tank and As Seen on TV. The goal was to develop The Travel Agent’s Success Kit ™ or TASK, to help struggling travel agencies successfully adapt to this new age of travel. Today, travel agents across the globe have access to her informative videos, webinars, and books. She will even provide her own personal mentorship to help others learn the business strategies needed to make them more than travel agents, as her goal is to help them become travel entrepreneurs.
Since opening in 1996, Elite Travel has gone on to win numerous awards and has become one of the fastest growing, most trusted travel agencies in the nation. The company specializes in corporate incentive travel, luxury travel, destination weddings, and honeymoons. As of today, she has done more than $120 million in travel-related business.